Sunday, June 17, 2012

Big daddy

Alright, five days on a roll, that's just awesome. I am lucky enough to have a whole day to myself this Sunday. It's fathers day in America and only there, so congrats to all American dads. Fathers day was an American custom that joined us in Europe just after second world war. I find fathers day one of the dates that move around the most. In some countries they combine fathers day with the celebration of St. Josef the guy that supposedly knocked up Maria without a touch. I guess it was alright at the time to do an incubation while we today are raging against it. After all, we are talking high class members in one of our societies. 

I really do have some great friends. Close friends that have been around for years, and then some new ones that enter my life with a great big smile. Of course over time I've also lost some friends, maybe just for now, but I have to say Facebook stole most of them. I sent an email to the editor of VG, the largest newspaper in Norway and pleaded that they opened the possibility of comments on articles also from people that are not on Facebook. It's not the first e-mail I sent, but I guess there is someone pushing the buttons cause I never get an answer. Is it that hard to understand that not everyone of us wants to be on Facebook? 

I've met friends this week that I haven't seen in five years or more. It's been an amazing experience. I had no idea I'd left such an enormous footprint nine years ago. Funny is it that half of the people have been telling me that they all have been either talking or thinking about me within the last week. It was like they knew we were gonna meet up very soon. 

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
-Mark Twain-

In 2013, as I turn 27, the Norwegian father's day will be on my birthday. The first to celebrate father's day was Sonora Smart Dodd from Washington in 1909 who started the tradition in honor of his father William Smart, a veteran of war. Praise those who carries weapons that hurt others... 

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment